0031 (0)20 688 0462
Log Tecla - Hove to on the Atlantic side
After rounding the Horn, the sun did not start shining.. and as we entered through the Estrecho de le Maire to the Atlantic side of the Southern Ocean, the wind did not die out. So we took our bearings on weather reports and the barometer that is still at 981Hp and chose to ride out some of this depression on this slightly leeward coast line.
We are hove to under a mizzen with second reef and big mooring lines have been streamed out on the front to keep the head on the waves. We tried it under mizzen and reefed forestaysail, but then she still wanted to sail! We are slowly drifting north, which is not bad at all! Our last weather report forecasted 36 knots from the south west for the next day and a half. We would have reached the 50 degrees South before the wind would die out, which might have meant riding out the storm there. We guessed the waves by that time and on that position would probably be bigger then down here, so we turned the rudder and hoved to.
The watches have been dismissed for this night. The crew is on watch in the aft, keeping an eye on the radar and the rigging, but the rest has a full night in bed. And it is a well deserved rest. The last day and a half have been very impressive. The cold and the wind take a lot?of energy, the constant movement wares you out more then you realize and most have been hauled out of bed for the rounding of Cape Horn and all the sightings of land!
The mainland of Argentina came in sight in between the showers and low hanging clouds. It was amazing to see. Hills rising high, snow on the mountains and every now and then a orange ray of sunlight on a rocky patch. We sailed through the Estrecho with an enormous speed, we even hit the 13 knots with a fair bit of current pushing us along. The wind has been between a force 7 and 9 all day long and slightly more in the showers. Under reefed forestaysail and storm jib, we went along very nicely.
Right now I am sitting in the aft, outside is getting lighter. Storm clouds are on the horizon looking ominous. Some are already dumping their hail and snow out on the water, others are waiting for the right moment..
and that moment might be when they are right on top of us. The wind is howling right now, shaking our aft shutters. Hail is rapidly tapping on the skirt of the mizzen mast and the yellow/green shine on the radar screen shows that we are surrounded by showers, all sides in a 12 mile radius. We will stay hove to until breakfast at 8, then we will see if we continue or stay slightly longer. Depending on the new weather forecast. If you see us doing 10 knots on the Yellowbrick, that means we have set our sails again for the last 500 miles of this journey.Read more